Starflower's Adventures

Wednesday, August 03, 2005





Today I went to the library. The Big Library downtown. I needed to get a new library card, since mine got lost in a pickpocketing incident. I also needed to look for books about shelters, homes, for people, for animals--stuff along those lines. That is the subject of the unit that will frame the entire upcoming school year for my 2nd graders.

I LOVE the library! Looking from the bottom up the six levels to the skylight atrium, the possibilities for knowledge are endless. I used to have a wish that I could spend the night in the library and just read and read and read to my heart's content. The thought of it still gives me a little thrill. It's a good thing I've fallen into reading mode because yesterday a got a pile of five (free) books from Nueva for my summer reading. I only need to read one of them before school starts, but just holding that much printed material in my hands makes my heart beat a little faster. If only I could read a little faster, and remember it all a little longer.

I decided to start with Exceptionally Gifted Children and passed off The Tipping Point to Eli. I'm really looking forward to reading The Last Child in the Woods, which discusses the disconnection that children have from nature these days. Well, not Nueva kids who get to roam through the forest everyday at recess. Man, I would've LOVED to have nature as my playground everyday. I suppose now it will be.

1 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How we can dream...nature should be our classroom, yes? Wanna throw rocks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home